Sunday 5 June 2011

Young Mum's Doorstep Killers Caged


A teenage hitman and his accomplice are starting life sentences for the shotgun killing a young mum on an East London doorstep – while the victim’s ex, who allegedly paid for the murder, walked free.

Gulistan Subasi, 26,(pic.top) was visiting her mother’s flat in Kingsmead Way, Hackney on March 22 last year when she innocently answered the door and was blasted by the schoolboy killer.

Gunman Santre Sanchez Gayle, 16,(pic.middle) of Crompton Road, Willesden, North-West London was convicted by an Old Bailey jury of murder and ordered to serve a minimum of twenty years.

Accomplice Isaak Billy, 25,(pic.bottom) of Oxford Gardens, North Kensington, West London was also convicted of murder and ordered to serve a twenty-two year minimum.

The prosecution claimed Gulistan’s ex – Serdar Ozbek, 28, of Westbeech Road, Wood Green, North London – paid Billy to kill her, but he and four other men were cleared of murder.

A CCTV camera captured the moment Gayle shot Gulistan just before 8:30pm, killing her instantly. The cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the chest.

The Homicide and Serious Crime Command’s
Detective Chief Inspector Jackie Sebire, said: “This has been a particularly harrowing and difficult investigation.

“Firstly in terms of the way that Gulistan Subasi was so callously killed as she simply answered the front door.

“She had only been in the country for two days, visiting her family prior to her wedding. 



“The CCTV footage is truly frightening and shows the youth exhibiting no doubt or hesitation as he approached the flat, rang the bell and then shot Gulistan as she opened the door.

“Since his arrest he has shown no sign of remorse or comprehension for the devastation he has brought to the Subasi family.



“I would like to thank Gulistan's family for their support of the investigation and the dignity they have exhibited throughout the trial.

“I would also like to pay tribute to the witnesses from the community who bravely gave evidence.

“This has been a year of painstaking and complex enquiries, leading to today's convictions.”



Gulistan, who had a nine-year old son with Ozbek, lived in Turkey and was staying at her mother’s address and planned to visit her son for his birthday.

The prosecution claimed Ozbek ordered the hit because he feared eventually losing contact with his son.

The victim was enjoying a meal with her mother and a family friend when she answered a knock at the door.

There was a loud bang and she cried out “Mama”.



Her mother went to the head of the stairs where she saw her daughter lying inside the doorway bleeding from a fatal chest wound.



Gayle escaped in a taxi and was so calm the driver suspected nothing.

Billy is believed to have been paid "thousands" for his role and Gayle just £200.

Also cleared of murder were
Zeon Jackman, 22 of Craven Park Road, South Tottenham and a 16-year old boy from the same area; Paul Nicoloau, 29, of Weir Hall Road, Edmonton and homeless Leigh Bryan, 26. 


The victim’s mother Dondu Subasi, 44, said: “I was asked by the police what impact this incident has caused to my life. 



“Firstly I was heartbroken. Anyone who has not lost a child would not try to understand my feelings.

“I lost my child when she was very young. If you compare life with seasons then I lost her at the beginning of spring. 



“I was devastated when my daughter was killed in front my eyes and this took its toll on my life and health. I do not remember much regarding who came, who was there, who I spoke to one week to 10 days after the incident at all.



“After I lost my daughter I could not stay in the house where the incident took place. I was frightened to stay on my own, day or night-time, and I would panic.



“I do not feel that life is worth living anymore. Sometimes I do not know where I am going or what I am doing. I get lost then knock on the door and ask help from people not known to me or ring my husband or son.

“Sometimes at night I wake up and go and ring the door of a neighbour not known to me. I do not know where I am and then ring my son who comes and takes me back home.



“If I do not take a sleeping pill I have nightmares. The day of the incident especially never leaves me alone and is always before my eyes.



“The incident did not only cause me to lose my unique daughter but I also lost my grandson.

“My grandson's face is the same as Gulistan's. Unfortunately I cannot see my grandson at the moment, I can only look at my grandson's photos. This is a terrible pain for me.”

No comments: