Monday 24 October 2011

Arms Dealer Continues Extradition Battle


An Eastcote arms dealer, wanted in the United States for smuggling weapons, told an extradition hearing on today: “I am a human being and do not deserve to be torn away from my family to some federal penitentiary for the rest of my life.”

Father-of-two Guy Denon Savage, 42, of Daymer Gardens, told District Judge Nicholas Evans at City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court: “The court should show the same deference and dignity for my life as you hold your own.

“What is the point in human rights if they cannot be exercised.”

Savage – ex-boss of Northolt weapons manufacturer Sabre Defence Industries – is accused of breaching licence restrictions placed upon the export of weapons including M16 assault rifles and gun paraphernalia.

The United States government are seeking to extradite Savage for trial and he will learn his fate on November 30 when District Judge Evans will give his written ruling.

Representing himself during the all-day hearing Savage challenged the extradition on multiple grounds including medical, lawfulness and that it was a breach of his human rights, including the right to family life.

“The United States have failed to show there is a case and if there is no case in the USA there is no case for extradition,” added Savage, who failed to have the entire hearing adjourned to pursue a High Court appeal.

“I have been denied every opportunity for fairness in these proceedings,” he added.

“I have not been asked a single question about the indictment except after I had been shot at, beaten up, had the stuffing knocked out of me and asked if I consented to these proceedings. My answer was: ‘No’.”

Savage constantly clashed with District Judge Evans after his request for another adjournment was refused.

“You are very nearly in contempt of court. Please move on,” asked the judge. “I have made the ruling you can appeal it later.”

When asked by the defendant if he stood by his oath of office District Judge Evans told Savage: “I find the question impertinent. Let’s move on.”

Savage has made a Habeus Corpus application in the USA and served a writ on the US government, but the court refused to hear further details.

Savage complained: “You will not allow me to proceed properly. These matters will be passed to the High Court. All I have asked is for the court to recognises statutes it is obliged to under law.”

He also complained about the costs of bringing professional witnesses to give evidence on his behalf. “Justice is only available in the court if I am able to pay for it.

“I am not a lawyer, I am a free man trying to exercise my rights here,” added Savage. “This is a vindictive prosecution on behalf of the US authorities.

“They want to prosecute me because it is in their financial interests to do so.”

He told the court the two things that stopped him committing suicide after his arrest was the fact it was his father’s birthday and the prospect of leaving his two daughters fatherless.

Savage handed in a 140-page and 70-page argument objecting to his extradition to the court along with a confidential medical report by Dr. Susan Thompson on mental health grounds.

Mr. Peter Caldwell, representing the US government, challenged Savage’s application on medical grounds.

“The government’s view of that report is that it’s conclusion is not one that the government readily accepts.”

No comments: