Wednesday 13 June 2012

Two Teens Caged For Gang-Related Schoolboy Killing


Two teenage killers, who stabbed a fellow-youth in the neck because of gang rivalry while surrounded by shoppers in a busy South-East London suburb, have been locked-up.

Yemurai Kanyangarara, 16, (pic.top) suffered the fatal knife wound on July 1, last year in Upper Wickham Lane, Welling.

Osman Bangura, 16, (pic.middle) of Wilmot Close, Peckham was convicted of murder by an Old Bailey jury and was detained for a minimum of fourteen years.

His accomplice, Isaac Walters, 15, (pic.bottom) of Marchwood Close, Camberwell was convicted of manslaughter and received eight-and-a-half years.

Yemurai and a 16 year-old friend had travelled from Bexleyheath on a number 96 bus, which was following another bus, containing the two defendants.

Bangura had been slashed to the head three days earlier by the Cherry Boys gang and was on his way to Plumstead Police Station to identify his attackers.

After murdering Yemurai he continued travelling to his appointment, completed the identity procedure, and was even given a lift home by a police officer.

Yemurai and his friend got off outside a Superdrug store and Bangura and Walters got off in Welling High Street, outside Tesco’s and walked into the store.

Inside they were seen putting on gloves then approaching the victim, who was stabbed by Bangura

The defendants were traced by officers to the Brighton area and were arrested on July 5 and charged the following day.
A third boy, aged 16, was acquitted. 



Yemurai’s mother Sharon said: “Time is a good healer, yet my wounds are open and bare for all to see.

“I realise no lengthy sentence will return my precious son.



“I hope the individuals that murdered my son understand that they have to live with the consequences of their actions for the rest of their lives and they are aware that they murdered my one and only child. 



“My son was not part of a gang and he didn't have any enemies.

“Yemurai played no part in the disputes between his school and Blackheath Blue coats.



“Yemurai died before his time in brutal circumstances an innocent victim murdered because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.



“I will remember Yemurai for the joy he gave to others.

“I am very proud of my son and the young man he was becoming. I would have given my life to have just a few more moments with my son.



“I am grateful that justice has been done.

“It was the last thing I could achieve for my son and I thank those who assisted in the court process.



“Yemurai will always be in our hearts and in our thoughts forever.”

No comments: