Saturday 22 December 2012

Man Utd Away Fan Caught Hurling Seat


A Manchester United club member, who threw a seat towards stewards after his team scored during a nine-goal cup thriller, was fined yesterday.

Jobless Nicholas Garvey, 19, of Collingwood Street, Rochdale was caught on CCTV during the Capital One Cup fixture at Chelsea FC's Stamford Bridge stadium.

The ex-season ticket holder pleaded guilty at West London Magistrates' Court to throwing a missle onto a football playing area on October 31 and was fined £90, with £85 costs.

Chelsea beat Manchested United 4-3 after extra time.

Prosecutor Mr. Paul Mitchell told the court: “After Manchester United scored a goal a loose seat was thrown onto the pitch, near the stewards at pitchside.

“The defendant was identified by CCTV and he said: 'I did not rip it off, but I threw it'.”

The first-time offender told the court: “On that night I did the wrong thing by throwing the seat onto the pitch.

“I have let yhe club, the supporters, my family and myself down. It is one of the biggest regrets of my life.

“I try to go to away games when I can afford it and did go to most home games, but I got a letter from Man United asking me not to attend any home games and I have not been since.”

The police did not request a formal football banning order and Garvey was also ordered to pay a £20 victim surcharge.

No comments: