Monday 17 February 2014

Would-Be Murderer Strangled Fellow Bus Passenger With Scarf

Bus Victim: Reynolds Quadjovie

A bus passenger travelling to his first day in a new job was the victim of a murder bid when a man sitting behind strangled him with a scarf while menacingly repeating: "I want to kill you," a jury heard today.

Eric Mjola, 33, wrapped his scarf around the throat of Tesco's security guard Reynolds Quadjovie, who was heard choking by another passenger and passed out, Isleworth Crown Court was told.

Mjola, of West Brompton, has pleaded not guilty to attempting to murder Mr. Quadjovie as they travelled on a single decker C1 bus through Earl's Court on December 1, 2012.

Mr. Quadjovie had just asked another passenger if they were near Tesco's when Mjola said to him: "Are you crazy?" and the security guard replied: "What do you mean, I'm crazy?" and turned back around.

The jury were shown CCTV footage of the defendant then placing his scarf around Mr. Quadjovie's neck and the pair struggling at the rear of the bus.

"He was killing me, there's no doubt about that," Mr. Quadjovie told the court. "He meant it and he meant what he was doing.

"He was in complete control of the bus, people were lying down afraid of their lives. You can see on the image how I was struggling, how he was killing me.

"At that time I was completely in his hands."

In his statement to police Mr. Quadjovie said the defendant told him: "I want to kill you," while strangling him. "He said this several times."

The CCTV footage showed a young male passenger willing to intervene, but repeatedly being held back by his mother and another young man reportedly shouts: "You can't do that, you're killing him."

At one point Mr. Quadjovie slumps against the window to his left, but seconds later is seen on the CCTV running down the bus's aisle towards the driver.

"I was lucky enough and God was on my side," he told the court. "I made the scarf a bit longer and was able to get it over my head."

Another passenger told the jury Mjola chased Mr. Quadjovie down the aisle repeatedly shouting: "I'm going to kill you," confirming she heard choking behind her moments before.

The victim says a finger on his right hand is permanently damaged as a result of trying to loosen the scarf around his neck.

"I'm handicapped in that finger. I'm suffering emotionally and physically. I'm traumatised.

"I have suffered a loss of income from having to spend months at home, I still have debts and was not able to pay my rent.

"He has completely taken my life in a bad way."

Mjola claims he was misheard, due to his accent, by Mr. Quadjovie and the witness and was saying: "I won't kill you."

Trial continues………….  

No comments: