Sunday 1 June 2014

Chelsea FC Fan Fined For Celebrating On Hallowed Turf


A Chelsea FC fan, who ran onto the pitch where his late father's ashes are scattered after his team hit the goal that put them through to the Champions League semi-final, has been fined.

Mark Warboys, 39, of Windsor Close, Witham, Essex told Hammersmith Magistrates Court: “I enjoy my football, I'm passionate about my football.”


He pleaded guilty to entering the playing area during the Chelsea v Paris Saint-Germain match at Stamford Bridge on April 8 and was fined £320, with £85 costs and was ordered to pay a £32 victim surcharge.


Prosecutor Miss Helen Clutton told the court: “After Chelsea scored a goal he ran onto the football pitch and was detained by stewards and then the police.


“In his own words he said emotions were high and he got carried away.”


Chelsea striker Demba Ba had just hit the second goal in a 2 – 0 win minutes from the final whistle, which clinched the home's team's progress in the competition.


Warboys told the magistrates: “Emotions were running high that night. My dad's ashes were spread on the pitch there in 1989 and he has got a memorial plaque there.


“I go there regularly with my son. I'm a member and my son is a member as well.”


When told he could be made subject to a three-year football banning order, which would prevent him attending any matches Warboys added: “I would be very upset, but I would accept it gracefully.”


The magistrates did not make any football banning order.  

No comments: