Sunday 24 January 2016

NOT GUILTY: Boat Race Ear-Bite Accused Is Cleared

Not Guilty: Ali Nariman
The man who bit off the top of an investment banker's ear, who was enjoying a day-long pub crawl during last year's Boat Race, has been cleared of GBH.

Ali Nariman, 35, of Chertsey Road, Twickenham told Kingston-upon-Thames Crown Court 30 year-old Charles Linard was drunk and aggressive in Putney's Be at One bar on April 11.

He said Mr. Linard, who had been drinking for 11 hours, lunged towards him as if to inflict a headbutt and kicked him in the shin seconds before the ear-bite incident.

Earlier in the evening there had been a confrontation between the pair in the busy bar with CCTV cameras capturing Mr. Linard thrusting his arm out towards Nariman.

The jury found him not guilty of both inflicting grievous bodily harm, with intent, and a lesser charge of wounding.


Charles Linard 
The incident was the subject of an appeal on BBC1's Crimewatch programme, with a full recreation of the evening using actors.

Nariman surrendered himself to police after learning he was wanted for questioning.

Six-foot three Mr. Linard told the jury he leaned in to hear what Nariman was saying after the defendant motioned to him.

"My ear was towards his mouth so I could hear what he was saying. The next thing I remember was the gentleman lunging forward.

"I felt a pain in my ear and as I instinctively pushed him away I felt a tugging of my ear and swung my right hand towards him in self-defence.

"There was blood and I felt pain."

No comments: