Tuesday 9 August 2016

NOT GUILTY: Guest Cleared Of Sexually Assaulting Host

100% Innocent: Singh
An overnight guest, who was accused of tricking his way into his female host's bedroom and grabbing her breasts and forcing his hand inside her pyjama bottoms, has been cleared by a jury.

Gyan Singh, 54, of Brock Road, Priesthill, Glasgow had travelled down to the woman's flat in south-west London, where they had a takeaway and he drank vodka.

The woman told Kingston-upon-Thames Crown Court Singh suggested meeting to discuss a property venture.

"My presumption was that he would have a place to stay and we would meet in a coffee shop or something, but he said he was unable to get a hotel room.

"I did not think it would be difficult for him to get a hotel room, but he had come all the way from Scotland so I decided to make up a bed for him on the sofa."

Prosecutor Miss Margia Mostafa said the complainant retired to the bedroom of her third-floor flat at Cromwell House, Aubyn Square, Roehampton at 2.00am on January 11, locking the door behind her. 

"At 4.30am she heard banging on her bedroom door and asked through the door what was wrong and the defendant said he had a headache and was sick and dizzy.

"She heard the desperation in his voice and as she unlocked the door it was opened forcefully and the defendant pushed her back into the room.

"He grabbed her shoulders, neck and chest, grabbing her right breast area, digging his fingers in.

"He turned her around and blocked her from leaving the room and was grabbing both of her breasts and tried to put his hand down her pyjama bottoms.

"He tried to pull her towards the bed and she screamed out and he released his grip.

"She got out onto the balcony and she remembers Mr. Singh standing there with a smirk on his face."

The woman called 999 and police arrived at 5.30am and arrested the defendant. A photo of reddening around her breast was taken at the station.

Singh claims he fell asleep on the sofa and the next thing he remembers is the police arriving. "He said it was a misunderstanding and they were both drunk."

The woman told the jury: "I thought he was grabbing me for support, but when he went for my chest and neck I felt like it was something else, it felt sexual.

"He was grabbing parts of me he didn't need to and his hand was around my neck.

"He pulled my pyjamas down and there was some grabbing around my lower parts.

"At that time I started screaming really, really loudly and this went on for ten minutes.

"He then pushed me towards the bed and then the screaming got louder and by the time he let me go I was on the bed."

Shopkeeper Singh was found not guilty to one count of sexual assault.

No comments: