Sunday 19 November 2017

Pompey Fan Shoved Steward During Away Win At AFC Wimbledon

AFC Wimbledon 0 Portsmouth 2
An over-excited Portsmouth supporter was nicked for shoving a steward during his team's two-nil away win against AFC Wimbledon earlier this season.

Michael Buckingham, 29, of Hawthorn Crescent, Cosham, had travelled to the Kingsmeadow stadium for the League One fixture on September 9.

He appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates Court last Wednesday where he pleaded guilty to assaulting matchday steward Anthony Stewart.

Buckingham was conditionally discharged for twelve months and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

The court heard Buckingham was one of many away fans who encroached onto the pitch and he “ran up and pushed Mr. Stewart hard with both hands.”

Afterwards the defendant told police: “He pushed me so I pushed him back.”

The steward told officers: “I did not feel injured and it dd not effect my role in any way.”

Buckingham penned a written apology to Mr. Stewart and the court.

He said from the dock: “I really regret my actions I'm very sorry. It's a one-off, it won't happen again.”

The magistrate told Buckingham: “As you say it was a moment of madness.”

No comments: